29 January 2012

blank paper

On Friday I faced the challenge of making sense of all the ideas that have been floating around in, on, around, or near my brain.  I was confronted with a blank white sheet of 11x18 piece of paper and the objective to make a written or pictorial product explaining my plans, concerns, and overall ambitions for my master's thesis.  It was frightful!  Thankfully I was in good company of people who seemed likewise intimidated, or at least hesitant to write or not write certain things on the white sheet of paper.

I felt a great sense of security to see the similarity in concerns and ideas amongst my peers--I also felt comfort to know these stable people would be nearby whilst I work on my project.  It was a great experience.  In the end it was shocking to see the colors and somewhat cohesive way in which I displayed my concerns, ideas, etc. on this intimidating piece of paper.  I left class with an added measure of excitement, security, and motivation to press on.  Sometimes the subjectivity of my thesis frightens me to death, so it was calming to see it could get closer to something objective and real, and most of all: doable and helpful.

I'm obliged to be with the group of people I am now amongst, and equally or more obliged to press on with the research.  Seeing my plan mapped out provides a place to start making floating ideas grounded ideas.

More than anything, I was pleased to see my focus is still on helping people--it's my true passion and love.
I have a great fear of becoming a "scholar" in every sense of the word!

Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment