08 February 2012

Being Professional from 7-7

Right now I feel like I spend a lot of time having "meetings" and talking with professors.  I also attend "meetings" way too much in my profession, in addition to engaging in collaboration with coworkers.  Since adding this Tibetan course I have been meeting with several different professors, facilitators, etc. over several meetings as well.  Okay, so the point here is that if I'm not working or in class, I'm in meetings, which means I'm constantly in professional settings working with a variety of professionals.


Sometimes it's overwhelming to be in my "professional" mode all day long on weekdays, especially the aspect of being proactive and willing and ready to approach so many different people in order to make my projects work out.  I have to learn different ways to appeal to people and to communicate with professionals in an opinionated, yet respectful manner.  I've found that this communication can be vastly different from one person to the next, and I have to ease into which method to use with time.  One way of communicating is totally disrespectful for one professor or coworker, but completely appropriate or even required with another.

Overall, it's been a good experience for me to really push myself to learn appropriate communication styles in my different professional environments.  I actually have pretty high tolerance for any communication style, and prefer to be lax and enjoy talking with people in whatever mode they choose.  However, many people aren't like this, and it's a real talent learning to adapt to environments and people.  This is a skill I will need to seriously continue to develop when in the field, especially considering the language barriers and the cultural differences.  Being professional is different everywhere, but one commonality despite the environment is that it's tiring and requires deliberate actions and thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment