03 February 2012

The Greater of Two Goods

I've been meeting with my chair biweekly to keep things moving along with this huge project I've taken on.  My counterparts in my cohort are all at a good place in their literature review and writing in general it appears.  I, on the other hand, had to scrap my first thesis and start from scratch the 2nd week of January.  It was a daunting task to take on, and it seemed like it would lead to failure, but I had a strong feeling that it was a task I needed to accomplish.  After creating a summary of the current residents and needs at Karuna Home, I became pretty emotionally involved in the project, and actually felt like it wasn't a choice anymore, that I needed to continue on.

Well since I've made the decision to carry on, I feel like I get one bit of bad news after another about my status in the project.  They're not really bits of bad news as much as they're just deterrents and "another thing to do."  News about shots, passports, visas, restricted area permits, course substitutions, unexpected fees, financial aid, assignments, in addition to my current responsibilities at work and drama and my personal life have been considered "bad news" I guess.  But really they're just challeneges I need to happily confront.  Overall, I've been completing the tasks in reasonable amounts of time and feel good about my advances. It's been extremely comforting to have support from my classmates in all of my classes, as well as my professors and others willing to answer my "catch-up" questions and entertain my crazy ideas for the project.

So the current "bad news" I got is that there is a chance I'll have to wait two years to take the courses I'll be missing in the summer while in India.  They're only taught every two years, so it's impossible to take them in another semester.  The news was pretty devastating, but I kept asking questions and talking with professors about the possibility of finding course substitutions instead, or perhaps arranging some sort of independent study.  It's still just a possibility, but it's enough to work from and I'll continue working my hardest to make the situation better.  In the moment, though, I felt like I was faced with the choice of taking the classes or going to India, both being good.  In most situations throughout this process it's always been a choice between two "goods."  So I'm not mad about it!  Overall, I've decided to take the approach of being grateful for having two good choices instead of two terrible ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment