31 July 2012

Signed, Sealed, Delivered

The package has been delivered. 
Two teachers came to my room after lunch to help carry down the materials and when they saw everything on the floor they gasped and commented on how much stuff there was, but then were silent.  On the way to the classrooms I watched the teachers as they marched with two bags each over their shoulders like Tibetan Santa Clauses.  As we opened each bag and spread everything out the teachers were still a bit reserved making it hard to read whether or not the supplies I requested were useful or not.  We methodically sorted materials according to the needs of the students and teachers and made five piles: sensory class, 3 other classes, and physiotherapy room.

Finally when all the piles had been made according to classroom and teacher they thanked me (YOU) over and over and over again verbally and with expression and kept saying to especially, “Please tell your mother we love her and tell your father to ship you back to us soon in one of those FedEx boxes.”  I told them that wasn’t a bad idea and I’ll definitely try to make it happen.  After explaining that coworkers in special education had donated as well, they were so pleased, especially when explaining that Tyler had actually created by hand laminated rupees for a token economy system!  The teacher that opened this said, “Did any of the other teachers request these?” to which I said, “Not yet” and she responded jokingly with, “Well that means they’re all mine.”  Lastly I explained that SP Foundation (a respite care company in Orem, UT) had taken individuals with severe disabilities to stores all over town to find items on the list and that they actually picked and purchased supplies for Karuna Home.  It was clear by their expressions that this was so special to the teachers, and even to me as I said it out loud.  People with disabilities helped send supplies to other people with disabilities in another part of the world. 
Later the students came in and helped carry supplies to the different classrooms and they were all starry-eyed and excited.  One student clapped repetitively for about 15 minutes while giggling, while others put their hands in a praying position and said “Thank you, thank you.” 

During this experience I felt awfully guilty about being the only person to witness the teachers’ and students’ gratitude and as we sorted each item I thought of the person/people who took the time and effort to get it into that dang box to come to India and I was overcome with love for all of you.  I hope all those who have supported the Karuna Home and my time here know how I am daily overcome with love for you and would crumble without your support.  Or at least I’d be half as successful and double as lonely and unfulfilled. 
Thank you.






2 comments:

  1. Darlin'

    I am constantly finding myself saying that I am from the states but people just don't understand that here. I realize every time that I am being the dumb one. They are from the state of Karnataka and we are Americans or US citizens. I find it strange to have such a title especially when Americans are rare to find in Bylakuppe India but it has its benefits.... Remember the night at the pool?!!!!

    I am so sad that it is ending so soon and that you have to leave the childrens but we will be back!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BeBe, you have done more good in a few weeks than most people can do in a year. What an inspired idea, to have people collect and send needed items! You have left your mark of excellence, even if you never return. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete