16 March 2012

Actors, Activities, Location

I felt pretty certain about my actors, activities, and location ever since first selecting my thesis topic.  However, after discussions in class I've been considering more possibilities.  My original and ongoing ideas  go as follows:

  • Actors: monks & other staff members
  • Activities: special education and other services, daily living, prayers, occupational therapy, speech therapy, etc.
  • Location: Karuna Home in Bylakuppe, Karnataka, India
Now the possibilities have expanded to the following:
  • Actors: monks & other staff members, community members, family members of people with disabilities, and the residents with disabilities
  • Activities: special education and other services, daily living, prayers, occupational therapy, speech therapy, etc.
    • If it's community members of family members, the activities could be vastly different.  The interviews could take place while at a dinner with the family, or in their home while sitting and visiting.
  • Location: Karuna Home in Bylakuppe, Karnataka, India, homes in the community, public places in the community--anywhere in the community!
I don't know if I should include "possibilities" like this on my IRB protocol, and how much to include them in my proposal & prospectus, but I definitely don't want to limit myself to my original ideas.  Various locations, activities, and actors can enrich my research greatly, and conversations with people outside of Karuna Home have to be inevitable.  Why I didn't consider researching outside of Karuna Home is a mystery...I suppose it caused some anxiety realizing that more locations means more work.  But really less locations means more need for interpretation, and less data. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment