13 March 2012

Gaining Access to a Site

Neuman, "Choosing a Site and Gaining Access" (385-393)
I can't find the last name, but the article/chapter is called "Choosing a Site and Gaining Access" by Neuman.  This reading caused me to list a host of questions about the site I'll be gaining access to.  The questions go as follows"

1. What will my site be?
On page 385, Neuman says that the word site is "misleading."  He says "A site is the context in which
events or activities occur, a socially defined territory with shifting boundaries" (p. 385).  I will obviously be at Karuna Home, a residential center for individuals with severe disabilities.  However, for one aspect of my study I wanted to address the cultural/religious perceptions of the community and how that affects learning outcomes or expectations of people with disabilities.  Can I ask people outside of Karuna Home??  Can I talk to their families?

2. What do I do if informants are participating in behaviors that I feel uncomfortable with?  I want their information, right?!  At what cost...?
Neuman relays a story of a researcher that "participated in countless conversations and heard many abusive sexist/racist jokes" (p. 386).  Uh, I have no interest in participating in abusive sexist or racist jokes, although I doubt these are frequently made in the setting I will be studying.  However, what does a researcher do if informants are constantly engaging in such behaviors?  Just shrug them off, and even participate?  Or drop the informant? 

3. Is it really a plus that my chosen site is completely unfamiliar to me?
Bogdan and Taylor (1975:28) were quoted in the reading as saying, “We would recomnzend that researchers choose settings in which the subjects are strangers and in which they have no particular professional knowledge or expertise” (emphasis in original).  This surprised me.  I thought for sure my unfamiliarity would definitely be a negative, however it looks like it will help me see cultural patterns more easily because it's so distinctly different from my familiar culture and settings.

4. Which of my ascriptive characteristics might limit my access ?
Neuman said on the matter on page 386, "Your ascriptive characteristics can limit access. For example, an African American researcher can not hope to study the Ku Klux Klan or neo-Nazis..."  Are there certain characteristics of mine that might have a similar effect while in this environment?

5. Should I wear the clothes, or what?
I've heard both sides to this argument, that the people will appreciate my attempt at being a part of their culture, but also I've heard that it might seem obnoxious and overkill.  Which is it?  Should I wear the traditional clothing?  And if not, what should I wear to ensure I'm respecting the culture? Neuman said, "Do not overdress so as to offend or stand out, but copying the dress of those being studied is not always necessary" (p. 389).

6. How can I show my genuine concern in a way that is understandable to their culture?
Even in the United States I think it's difficult to truly show a genuine concern for and interest in others.  But maybe it's because people here seem to always be searching for ulterior motives: Americans are not typically of a collectivist nature, or so the literature says. Anyway, how can I really make sincere gestures of concern and interest in this culture? 

No comments:

Post a Comment